The Darwin Primate Group is a registered non-profit organisation dedicated to the preservation of South African primate species. There are nine provinces in SA with each province being governed by independent laws. Because the DPG is the only official primate rescue centre in the Western Cape in SA, our work is crucial to ensure a healthy future for the indigenous primates in this province.
We work towards a harmonious co-existence between residents and wild primates through distributing educational material, public talks and liasing with the public. An aspect of this involves anti-poaching patrols and educating local children in informal entertaining ways.
Our programs include working towards more protective legislation for wild indigenous primates,the rescue and rehabilitation of monkeys and research into wild baboons and monkey troops to find out the impact of human intervention and behavioural aspects that will contribute to knowledge about the most appropriate rehabilitation processes – habitats, natural food sources, behaviour etc.
- Thank Primate Sanctuary for Keeping Monkeys Safe (forcechange.com)
- Applaud Efforts to Prohibit Primate Trade (forcechange.com)
- Volunteering! (darwinprimategroup.wordpress.com)
- Freedom – Just Another Word for Nothing Left to Lose. (darwinprimategroup.wordpress.com)
- The Primate Mirror – Seeing Beyond Our Preconceived Human Socialisation (darwinprimategroup.wordpress.com)